Police Disregard the Law in the Arrest and Sentencing of Ms. Zhang Fengying

March 03, 2013 | By a Minghui correspondent from Beijing

(Minghui.org) On November 25, 2012, Ms. Zhang Fengying, a Falun Gong practitioner from Changping, Beijing, was arrested at a grocery store and detained for almost two months. On January 18 she was transferred to a detention center. On the morning of January 22, she was secretly transferred to Tiantanghe Women’s Forced Labor Camp, where she is currently imprisoned in the Fourth Team.

Ms. Zhang was in poor health when she started to practice Falun Dafa in the spring of 1996. All her illnesses quickly went away. She follows the principles of Truthfulness-Compassion-Forbearance and strives hard to be a good person who benefits both society and her family.

Ms. Zhang went to the Xiaoxinzhuang Supermarket to do the grocery shopping on the morning of November 25. When she did not come home by late afternoon, her family started searching for her.

The next morning, Ms. Zhang’s family went to the supermarket to make inquiries. The employees told them that there had been many plainclothes police officers there that day, arresting people who posted notices. In the afternoon, the family went to the police station. They discovered Ms. Zhang’s bike in the courtyard of the police station, so they went in to ask for her release. They met police officer Shi Weijun, who told them that he hadn’t arrested her, but he knew that it had happened. He said that she had been at the police station, but they had taken her away the day before. After repeated questioning, he finally told them it was officer Zhang Peng who had arrested her.

The family were still asking questions when Zhang Peng came in, saying, “I arrested her. She did not tell us her name or where she lived. Last night at around 7 we took her to Changping Detention Center.” Her family asked Zhang Peng, “What offense did Zhang Fengying commit, and why did you take her to the detention center?” Zhang Peng answered, “People told us she was giving out Falun Gong materials.” Her family members asked, “Did you see her?” Zhang Peng said, “I did not see it myself, but we had a witness.” Her family pressed him, “Where is the witness? Who is the witness?” Zhang Peng said, “I cannot tell you who the witness is since we have to protect the witness.” When the family continued to question the charges, Zhang Peng simply answered, “We have the Falun Gong materials and there were people who saw it.”

On the morning of November 27, Ms. Zhang’s family went to the pretrial team at Changping Detention Center to ask for her release. When the family went to the detention center, they were not allowed in. After several phone calls, a policeman named An Jingsheng asked the family to sign in at the door. When the family asked why Ms. Zhang had been arrested, he said, “This is not my case, I’m just notifying you on others’ behalf. I don’t know.” The family refused to leave, asking for an explanation. “Since you were entrusted with this case, and we have questions, we are asking you.” An Jingsheng answered angrily, “I don’t care, you ask whoever you want.”

Ms. Zhang’s family asked to meet with the staff of the pretrial team. Things were made difficult for them before they were allowed to get in. In the office of the pretrial team, her family asked what offense Ms. Zhang had committed and demanded to know why they could not find her after looking for her for one full day and night and then it turned out that she was in the detention center. A policeman with the last name of Tang called Yang Xuetao, the chief judge. Yang said over the phone, “The Huoying Police Substation said that someone called 110 to report that Ms. Zhang Fengying was distributing Falun Gong materials before they drove her here. She is detained according to regulation No. 61. We’re just following orders.”

At noon, the pretrial office staff made an excuse to take a break and made the family wait in the lobby. They all left and made jokes in the meeting room while the family members, including an elderly person and a young child, waited in the lobby.

On the morning of December 7, Ms. Zhang’s family went to the Huoying Police Substation again. They asked Zhang Peng to go to Changping Detention Center to see about Ms. Zhang, to ask for her immediate release, and to have the charges against her dropped. Officer Liu kept arguing with the family, telling them they’d have to go to the interrogation room instead of staying in the office. The family said, “We came to tell you about this. We want to talk to whoever deals with the case. We have not committed any crime; why do you want us to go to the interrogation room?” Later on this policeman treated them a little more kindly.

On the morning on December 25, 2012, the family went to the detention center again to see the pretrial judge. The guard at the gate did not allow them in. When they called the pretrial team, no one answered the phone.

Ms. Zhang’s family went back to the reception hall, where they found out that on December 15, the pretrial team had submitted the application to sentence Ms. Zhang Fengying to forced labor. When the lawyer went to meet with Ms. Zhang on December 17, she did not know that she had the right to apply for exemption from the detention center, since neither the pretrial team, the detention center, nor the law department had told her or her family that she had such a right. On December 20, when the pretrial team told Ms. Zhang verbally that she could have applied, she made a verbal application to the pretrial team. It is not known whether her application was ever filed, but on December 25 the pretrial team told Ms. Zhang Fengying that it was not approved.

On the morning of December 28, the lawyer asked to meet with Ms. Zhang again, but the receptionist from the pretrial team said that she was in the detention center, and her case was being processed in the legal system department. They said that she had been sentenced to forced labor and that she would soon be transferred to the detention center. They were just waiting for the original copy of the verdict to be sent to them before they sent Ms. Zhang to the forced labor camp. The various legal departments continued to give Ms. Zhang’s family the run around, never giving them complete information about her situation.

The officers of the pretrial team of Changping Detention Center found out later that their names had been posted on the Minghui website as perpetrators in the persecution, and thought that it was Ms. Zhang Fengying who posted them. They threatened that, no matter who else they might release, they would not release Ms. Zhang.

On the morning of January 22, 2013, Changping City Detention Center secretly transferred Ms. Zhang to Class Three of Team Four of Tiantanghe Women’s Forced Labor Camp in the Daxing District of Beijing for two years of forced labor. Her family didn’t find out about the transfer until noon, when they went to drop off some clothes for her at the detention center.

Based on Ms. Zhang Fengying and her family’s experience with the police, it appears that many police officers in China today have been so brainwashed by the CCP that they lack a basic human conscience. They know that it violates the law to persecute good people, but to serve their own self interests, they assist the CCP in persecuting Falun Gong practitioners.

Chinese version available

CATEGORY: Accounts of Persecution


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s