Mr. Liu Qiang Became Mentally Disordered at the Xingtai Forced Labor Camp

September 01, 2013 | By a Minghui correspondent from Hebei Province, China


Summary of Key Persecution Facts:
Name: Liu Qiang (刘强)
Gender: Male
Age: 40s
Address: Neiqiu County, Xingtai City, Hebei Province
Occupation: Unknown
Date of Most Recent Arrest: October, 2010
Most Recent Place of Detention: Handan Forced Labor Camp (邯郸劳教所)
City: Handan
Province: Hebei
Persecution Suffered: Sleep deprivation, forced labor, illegal sentencing, beatings, torture, force-feedings, detention

Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Liu Qiang from Xingtai City, Hebei Province, became mentally disordered in 2011, while being illegally detained in Xingtai Forced Labor Camp. After being subjected to brutal torture and becoming extremely weak, he was incarcerated for an additional two months after he had completed his term.

Mr. Liu was arrested in October 2010 by the county police. They confiscated his personal belongings including his computer and a printer without issuing a receipt. He was later sentenced to one year of forced labor and taken to Xingtai Forced Labor Camp.

Mr. Liu was assigned to the No. 3 Division, No. 1 Squad (fourth floor). Because he refused to memorize and recite the rules of the labor camp, he was beaten, dragged, kicked, and forced to stand for long periods of time by Zhang Xiuliang and other inmates. The division director, Fan Yongsheng, instigated the inmates to torture him even more brutally. Mr. Liu became unable to walk and had egg-sized scars behind both knees.

Despite his condition, Mr. Liu was deprived of sleep. After having endured brutal torture and intense pressure for several months, he eventually became mentally disordered on February 14, 2011. However, the guards did not let up on him. He was strictly monitored, handcuffed at all times, and was subjected to force-feedings. He was not able to walk. Mr. Liu had become extremely weak by March 30, and only then were the handcuffs and the catheter were removed. His term was extended for two more months. Fan Yongsheng was the division director at the time; Duan Zonghui, the political director; Wang Zepeng, assistant division director; and Zhou Zhiguo and Liu Qingshuan, squad leaders.

Mr. Liu was transferred to Handan Forced Labor Camp, No. 2 Division, on April 18, 2011, along with all the other Falun Gong practitioners who were incarcerated there. The guards instigated inmate Gao Shengli to repeatedly beat Mr. Liu in an attempt to “transform” him. They also stripped him naked in the bathroom and whipped him with wet hand towels. The food that his family brought for him during visits was all taken by Gao Shenli. Mr. Liu was again transferred to the newly established No. 2 Division in September and the torture continued. He was beaten by inmates including Gao Shenli and Jiao Yufeng, was left standing for long periods of time, and had all his food taken from him. Mr. Liu suffered tremendously both physically and mentally while at the forced labor camps.

Chinese version available

Category: Accounts of Persecution


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s