Mr. Yan Liangru from Chengdu City Arrested, Held in Brainwashing Center

September 03, 2013 | By a Minghui correspondent from Sichuan Province, China

( Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Yan Liangru was arrested by Chengdu City National Security Department at work, Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute, on May 19, 2013. No one knew his whereabouts until a month later when his family was told he was in Xinjin Brainwashing Center.

On the day Mr. Yan was arrested, Falun Gong practitioner Mr. Tao Jiu was also arrested by officers from the Jianyang City Domestic Security Division. He was also taken to Xinjin Brainwashing Center. Mr. Tao was a teacher from Laonong Village in Zhenjin Town, Jianyang City, and he came to Chengdu to make a living.

In order to hide the activities taking place there, Xinjin Brainwashing Center calls itself the “Chengdu Legal Education Center.” They use force-feeding and drugs to torture Falun Gong practitioners. Many practitioners, including Wang Mingrong, Xie Deqing, Li Xiaowen, Deng Shufen, Liu Shengle, and Li Xianwen, have been persecuted to death in the center.

At least seven or eight practitioners are now detained there. For example, Mr. Jiang Zonglin was sent to the center right after being released from a five-year prison term. Ms. Jiang Zhujun was deceived and detained there when she went to request the release of her father. Some practitioners have been deprived of their freedom for six or seven years.

Mr. Yan Liangru has been detained there for over a month. Neither his family or lawyer were allowed to meet with him, even once. His 92-year-old mother was so worried that she couldn’t eat or drink. Her life was in danger and she had to be hospitalized and put on an IV drip.

Below is what has happened since Mr. Yan was arrested.

Chengdu City National Security Department Tries to Cover Up

Officers from the Chengdu City National Security Department went to Mr. Yan’s office at Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute at around 3:00 a.m. on May 19, 2013, and arrested him without a warrant.

Mr. Yan’s family looked everywhere for him for several days but had no idea what had happened. Liu Yi, the institute’s security head, was present when Mr. Yan was arrested. He claimed that he had no idea where the police took Mr. Yan. He was only told that they were arresting him for an investigation regarding Falun Gong issues.

Both of Mr. Yan’s lawyers tried to submit the necessary paperwork on the morning of May 29, to Chengdu City National Security Department to meet him. It was really a hassle just to find the National Security Department. Their address isn’t listed on the Internet, nor would their security office tell the lawyers the address over the phone. With the help of a traffic officer, the lawyers finally found the agency. But the guard at the gate wouldn’t tell them the department’s exact location, but just a rough direction. This makes people doubt whether the National Security Department is a formal government organization.

It took the lawyers an hour and a half to find the department. When they finally got to the reception office, the receptionist made several phone calls. They waited for 20 minutes, until a man and a woman came out to meet them. The woman was the vice head, Chen Dan. The lawyers asked to meet with their client, Mr. Yan. Chen said she had to check first but didn’t know how long it would take. She asked for the lawyers’ phone number but refused to give hers. She said she would notify them if there was any news.

In the meantime, the security office of the Aircraft Design Institute received a call from the National Security Department saying that they would respond within two days. However, two days passed, and there wasn’t any response.

The lawyers then visited the institute’s security office. Liu Yi told them that when the police arrested Mr. Yan, they showed their work badges from Chengdu City National Security Department. He said, “We are a confidential institute, and we wouldn’t easily let someone take our employee away.”

Chengdu City National Security Department Rude to Mr. Yan’s Lawyers

On the afternoon of May 29, the lawyers went to Chengdu City Procuratorate to report how the Chengdu City National Security Department violated the law. They asked the Procuratorate to investigate and supervise the case. That day, the lawyers received two phone calls from the National Security Department. They were asked to provide the name of their law firm. But when they asked if the case was being processed, the person on the phone said, “I don’t know” and hung up. They couldn’t understand why they couldn’t even get an answer for such a simple yes/no question.

They later went to Chengdu City Detention Center to look for Mr. Yan. But he was not there. They waited for two days but did not receive a response from the National Security Department. So they went there again. The receptionist made a few phone calls and told them to wait there for Chen Dan. Twenty minutes later, however, a man came out and very rudely sent them out of the room. After another 20 minutes, Chen Dan still had not shown up. They went to ask the receptionist what was going on. A man walked towards them quickly and pointed at them, shouting “Get out! You can’t stay inside! Do you hear me?” His fingers almost touched the lawyer’s face. He waved his fist and was ready to strike them. Two security guards came up and surrounded them. At the same time, the receptionist came and said that Chen Dan had just called and told the lawyers to come back at two o’clock in the afternoon.

The lawyers couldn’t make it because they had other appointments that afternoon. They wrote a letter expressing their views and sent it to the National Security Department. After reviewing the sender, the person at the National Security Department said to the mailman, “I can accept the mail but I won’t sign. If you want me to sign, I won’t accept the mail.” The mailman was very confused and said, “If you don’t sign, I can’t get my job done. You need to sign if you accept the mail.” “Then I will refuse it,” the person said. The letter had to be returned to the lawyers.

The lawyers wrote to Sichuan Province National Security Agency on June 10, and attached the letter refused by Chengdu City National Security Department. But they never got a response.

Chengdu City National Security Department Didn’t Keep Their Word

Mr. Yan’s family visited Liu Yi at the aircraft institute again on June 6. Liu Yi said, “I talked to the National Security Department yesterday. They said they would get back to me after the Fortune Forum was over.” The forum was held June 6-8.

On June 18, two people from the National Security Department came to meet Mr. Yan’s wife at the institute. They brought an “official” document showing that Mr. Yan was detained at Xinjin Brainwashing Center. But it didn’t specify any reason for his detention. They refused to give her the document. They were falsely kind and told her, “His condition is very good.” They said they would arrange for him to meet with his family as soon as possible.

Mr. Yan’s other relatives heard the news. They went to Xinjin Brainwashing Center on June 21 and asked to meet with him. But the brainwashing center refused to open the gate for them and called the National Security Department and 110 (an emergency number in China). The National Security Department immediately called Mr. Yan’s wife and yelled at her. The police came and brought the visitors into the center. They recorded videos of each person and checked their IDs. Then the police informed their workplace to come and stop them. That evening, the police from their local police stations went to their homes to harass Mr. Yan’s relatives.

Neither Mr. Yan’s family nor his lawyers have yet met with him even once. The lawyers were treated rudely. The regime agents’ irrational behavior is causing people to be even more worried. What kind of torture is Mr. Yan being subjected to?

Contact information for those involved in the arrest and detention:
Chen Dan (陈聃), head of Chengdu City National Security Department: +86-28-87028391
Liu Yi (刘毅), security director of Chengdu Chengdu Aircraft Design Institute: +86-28-85509328
Li Feng (李峰), head of Xinjin Brainwashing Center: +86-13908180346, +86-13981700085
Xinjin Brainwashing Center: +86-28-82461856 or +86-28-82461166
(For more perpetrators’ contact information, please refer to the original Chinese article)

Chinese version available

Category: Accounts of Persecution


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s